Friday 14 December 2012

I'll copy this from my Facebook conversation

(FROM MY FACEBOOK GROUP):
I think sleep training is in order ASAP. With daddy away, Madison is now refusing to be put down at night - falls asleep in my arms but when I try to lay her in her rock n play wakes up screaming. All night long. So the last 2 nights she slept in bed with me all night. I'm not a fan of co-sleeping because I don't get any sleep normally and it's hard to stop once you start (my almost 4 yr old niece still sleep with my BIL and SIL). But...last night Madison slept through the night and didn't need any bottles. So if she can do it in my bed she can do it in her own. First need to figure out how to get her to let me put her down.

Like · · · Yesterday at 4:18am near Cypress, TX

  • Heather Newman Good luck! So great she didn't need a bottle. I'm terrified of co sleeping. I have a huge down comforter and tons of pillows. A baby would get lost! I'm a big fan of sleep training.
  • Kate Massey Yes! When I was really nearly losing it I went to the Ped and she said maybe you should do something more formal, like sleep training. So I went and got a bunch of books from the library. I adjusted my expectations and created a plan with DH and suddenly things are way better! EVERYONE is sleeping more, including the babies. I think I really didn't think they could get put down awake in their bassinettes and go to sleep and they've both done that more than once, we are still working on a bunch of stuff (cutting down on giving milk at night for example) but I'm shocked how much better things got once I educated myself, got a plan and put it into action. Ferber wasn't such a bad guy after all. I don't follow him to the letter, but I was surprised how nice a guy he seemed in his book!
  • Krista Vo Which books do you like the best? I need to get some.
  • Kate Massey The sleep section of "Bring Up Bebe" helped me adjust my expectations, that book is awesome anyway, more entertaining than any other baby book I've read. And "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Richard Ferber was very informative about sleep. Like what is actually going on. There were some others I looked at too, but they're up in the bedroom with sleeping DH and LO.
  • Kate Massey I mean my expectations and what they were giving me was here (hand at waist level), as soon as I raised my expectations (ie. found out babies actually can sleep well at night and that it's not just luck of the draw, which is what I thought when I saw FB posts about my baby slept this long), the babies changed their behavior, in a way that was like - wow - crazy - fast - weird. Like me and DH were looking at each other with confused looks like, what happened? They're both napping? What happened
  • Nicole Porter Bowlds I also used the Feber book - and I agree with Kate Massey it was much more humane than I had heard. We had two very painful nights with a lot of fussing (babies and me too) but they have been great sleepers since! They now go to bed smiling and awake at 7:15pm, and we feed them once at around 4-5 am, and they go back to sleep until 7am! We feel like new people - I was absolutely exhausted at work and at the end of my rope when we were still getting up every 3-4 hrs to feed all night long.

No comments:

Post a Comment